Saturday, August 5, 2017

Deadstocked : Action figure cleanout

I've been cleaning out all the old junk that has accumulated in my house lately. A majority of it was stuff I bought thinking I could make a profit by reselling online. I had high hopes. I could find a bag of action figures at thrift stores for as little as a dollar with the chance to make 30 - 50 dollars a piece.
Unfortunately for me, a few things happened... Other people got the idea and I didn't read the fine print that "Box included" is what made the items so fetching in cost. So, a few years have passed, My ambitions are low, so it's time to get rid of all this junk that's been cluttering up my room and garage. Heck, some of this stuff I've had since childhood. Let's take a looky-loo at what we have...
"Talking" Steve Irwin with Alligator
I went to school for wildlife management. One of the reasons I went was my love of nature and the desire to educate others about the wilderness. My inspiration to do so came from a few key people: The Kratt Brothers, Jeff Corwin and of course, Steve Irwin, The crocodile hunter.
Mr. Irwin passed away while I was in my first year of college. His passing kinda hit me hard. I had always wanted to meet him and found him to be inspirational. I found an action figure of him that has a speak function that isn't working right now. (I think the batteries might be dead.) I still feel kinda attached to this one, so back into my collection he goes!
Big ass collection of power rangers
I grew up half-watching the power rangers as a kid. It was neat, The monsters were cool and the plots were simple enough. I guess but I never got into it. Whether I wasn't really old enough when it was on or it just missed me altogether, I'm not sure. It also did fall into a group of things I didn't really like because as a kid, I loved mega man (Oh, here we go again...) and people that saw me liking mega man figured I'd like MMPR as well... It really wasn't my thing. I managed to find the figurines a few years back and had heard there was a movie coming out so I put them in storage. I never found the opportunity to list and sell them so whatevs. From what I've seen online, they don't sell for much anyways.

Bigger Ass collection of pokemon
I now noticed that my sister drew on Chancey.

Ahh, Pokemon, AKA Jump The Shark The Franchise. I was part of the first wave of pokemon. I even got a damn VHS explaining what pokemon were and how to prepare for the invasion. I got into it a little bit. I bought Pokemon Red, Pokemon Snap and Pokemon Stadium... But that was about it. My real love came partially from the figures. I bought a single set and then everyone around me decided "We know what to get him for gifts for every occasion" I had amassed a collection of dozens of the damn things. When Pokemon Gold/Silver came out, I was on a delay and hadn't got to play it for a few years. I haven't even picked up the later games. I kept one or two that I legitimately liked, but the rest are going to be donated, Let some die hard freak win the lottery...

The shitheads... I mean, Hersheys Kisses people
That's what they look like though...
Ask any kid what they think these things are, and they'll tell you they're some sort of attempt to cash in on the emoticon movie. But, they're not. Once upon a time, in a mystical land called Pennsylvania, some guy invented chocolate and took over the world... He built a theme park based off of chocolate or something.

In all seriousness, these are the little mascots for the Hersheyland park that remind me of the 7 Duffs from the simpsons. I've had these sitting around for about 20 years and gave up trying to make heads or tails of them. Whatever. NEXT!

Farfel the dog
Does anyone else find it ironic that they're using a dog to sell chocolate?
I didn't know who or what the hell Farfel was until I looked him up recently. He was a puppet used to sell Nestle brand chocolate. I'm not even sure where I got him, but I'm now somewhat glad he's gone. I feel like the ads he was in were damn creepy.
The cameraman was killed instantly.
 the director was found hours later, stuffed with baby Ruth wrappers.

Some simpsons figurines
Once upon a time, I actually liked watching the Simpsons. I bought the video games, I watched the shows, I bought the kids meals just so I could get the stupid toy that came with it. Then, one day, I quit watching. Not just the Simpsons, but like... Everything.
In college, I didn't have much time to watch much of anything, so shows I was interested in (Lost, umm... There were others...) got the axe in my interests. Simpsons was one of them. I missed close to 12 years, and I don't really plan on catching up. For what it's worth, Uter is a neat character, and Creepy flanders was cool too, but not cool enough to keep.

Weird Heavyset GI Joe knock-offs
These things were cool. I remember getting them when I was about 9 and thought they were the greatest. I can't remember the brand name they were, but they were only sold at dollar general for a few years. Each of them came with an accessory ,usually a gun, or a grenade. The cop came with a night stick, The climber guy had a pick axe and the fire fighter has a fire extinguisher.
I had the entire set and then one day, the stores just stopped carrying them completely. I never figured out why. I don't know why, but they sort of remind me of the Heavy from Team Fortress 2. Whatever, They don't bring me Joy anymore. Into the donation bin they go!

Ephialtes from 300
300 was a movie that came out while I was in college. Everyone quoted it, did the "THIS IS SPARTA!" quotes and all the other crap. I found this amazingly detailed figure at a thrift store for 50 cents and bought it hoping it was worth some bank. It was not. He wasn't in the box and didn't have his extra head, so he wasn't worth listing. 


Buncha Kaiju
Awesomely enough, these 3 were in a box at a yardsale marked "Dinosaurs" I got them all for a dollar and kept them for a while. While I'm not the biggest fan of the old Godzilla movies, they're pretty detailed figurines. I hope a big Kaiju fan finds them at a thrift store and loses their mind on the luck they had finding them.
Stinky diver from Kablam!
I have no memory of how this guy got in my collection, but I have a vague memory of the show Kablam! Stinky diver was part of a group called "Action League Now!" which was a group of crime fighters that... Fought crime... Ack, just watch a damn episode.

Inspector Gadget with a friggin' Ax.
I found him like this. I'm not kidding.
I remember going to a yard sale where action figures were in little bags. These two were bagged together along with the silvery ax that the one gadget holds. I don't know why he was packaged like this by the people selling him, but I like it. I'm keeping him. The other one can go.

Well, that's one of many crates of junk cleared out. Stay tuned! Or don't... I'm just writing this dumb thing, It's not like I have authority over what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment