Saturday, August 5, 2017

Farewell to my last job : Working at a neat saddle shop

About 4 years ago, I got a job at a saddle shop doing internet sales work and IT stuff. It was the first real job I got since graduating college and it paid the bills.
In addition to this, I had also managed to get my driver's licence and started making my way in the world.

It started out simple enough. Manage an Amazon, Ebay and regular store account with some help from another IT worker. Things were going pretty good and normal until about a year and a half into working...
I assume this means no more horsing around at work...
My boss, who is an avid military collector decided to buy a collection and add it all to our regular merchandise. After a while, I became the only IT person and learned quite a bit about military stuff. 

But, things can't remain the same for long. I grew tired with my job, and other stuff happened. So, starting soon, I'm making my way into the medical sector.
With all this being said, here's 10 things I got out of working for a neat little saddle shop.

#1 I learned how to drive in a northern Ohio Winter
Hope you have mittens...
Before I started working, I had never learned to drive a car. I knew how, but never got around to getting my license. Luckily for me, I managed to get it all figured out by August of 2013. By November, the first heavy snow storms had hit and there I was driving a 10 year old Oldsmobile Alero (White by the way,) Into a damn Blizzard.
I also learned that car electrical systems get wonky as hell in the cold. One morning it was -30 out and when I started my car, the windows decided to roll down, When there's ice on a window that's trying to go down, the window tends to shatter and break. Long story short, I drove 20 miles into town with no window and cuts on my face to get a replacement.
Though I dread winter still, I'm still confident I can make it to and from work without dying. (fingers crossed, Note to self, buy St. Christopher Pendant.)

#2 A surplus West German combat helmet (with cover!)
What tended to happen often with certain items was that they just wouldn't sell. We'd list them, they wouldn't sell. Time would pass and my boss would ask me to go ahead and relist them. This helmet was the first of many items I got tired of seeing not sell. I finally decided "Heck with it, I'm buying it so I don't have to reshoot it and re-list it." Price-$10.00
#3 a surplus East German M43 Spring hat (2 of em!)
I accidentally the pictures...
Yet another in the line of items that didn't sell well. But with a little difference. I actually wanted one of these. Something about them, I really like. The color is good and the earflaps are nice. I like them so much, I bought two!
#4 WWII Era 83rd Division Patches
This is where things get neat. During WWII, My uncle Sam Magill Served in the 83rd Division where he managed to get 20,000 German Troops to surrender. My sister made a video on youtube about him. I jumped at the chance to buy the patches that belonged to my Uncle's division. 

#5 A replica German Luftwaffe officer's sword
I actually don't condone anything the Germans did during WWII. This thing has a funny story. My boss was going to a gun show but didn't have enough room to take this. He buzzed me in my office and asked "Do you want a sword? It's a reproduction but it's a sword." I was hesitant but said yes. He brought it up, asked for 10 bucks and also threw in some other stuff. 
For what it's worth, the sword is an obvious fake. I debated for a while of altering the pommel and guard piece to make it into something else. But I'm lazy.
#6 A gas mask I'm afraid to do anything with.
I can't even remember what I did with the real thing...
The gas mask I bought was a case of laziness at work. I didn't feel like researching where the mask came from, and I didn't feel like photographing it, so I just asked how much my boss wanted for it. He made a deal so I threw it in the trunk of my car and was like "Great! Now I have a gas mask!" 
A few weeks passed and I was researching another gas mask when I learned that a lot of the masks used asbestos in the filters. I put the mask away somewhere and have never messed with it again. Eventually, I might get it back out and get it tested, or just pitch the damn thing, but I haven't decided yet.
#7 Pretty good experience with customer service
This was actually pretty good. In the 4 years I worked at the store, I learned how to negotiate with frustrated customers, communicate with customers from other countries and just plain deal with people. There's no picture for it, but it's good anyways.

#8 My photography got used in a book I can't read.
While working on old Civil war era photos, I was contacted by a group that did research for photos of the era. They said my photo skills were impeccable and that they wanted to use my photography in their book. I agreed and was hoping to get a copy, except, it's on this thing called "dropbox" I don't understand it so I'll probably never see my handiwork. Oh well. 
(If you're interested, here's a link to the facebook page.)
#9 A pretty darn nice Knife
Not a whole lot to say about this one. It's a nice looking knife.

#10 Surplus West German Dust Goggles
To be used for my supervillain costume.

Well, that's it. I start work at my new job on Monday. See ya all later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment